Sunday, March 18, 2007


I'm not really interested in the world of fashion. I regularly, without reading, cast aside all the supplements in the Sunday newspapers and I think what a waste of time and money including all that rubbish in a newspaper. Did he/she really pay £100 for a pair of badly torn jeans I ask myself. I therefore vacillated about seeing 'The Devil Wears Prada' ; even though lots several friends had recommended it. After watching the recently released DVD this week I now realise that I should never have wavered: this is a funny and clever film that is well directed by David Frankel and wittily written by Aline Brosh McKenna, who provides us with some amusing not to say philosophical insights into the fashion industry. Meryl Streep as 'the Dragon Lady', Anne Hathaway as 'the new Emily' deliver some entertaining characterisations. Mention must be made also of a fine supporting cast: principally Emily Blunt and Stanley Tucci. I won't go into the plot and storyline, that would just spoil the surprises for those who haven't yet seen this delightful film. Highly recommended.

No comments: